Browse around and leave a comment! I don't bite. (Unless you're a troll. Trolls are tasty...)

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Falling Under by Gwen Hayes

Published March 1st 2011 by New American Library
324 pages
Series: Falling Under #1
Source: Borrowed

A shy girl living a seemingly normal life? Check.
A hot and mysterious guy appearing out of nowhere? Check.
Instant, unexplainable, and inevitable attraction blossoming as the two gaze at each other fatefully through a pane of glass? Check.

Haden/Mr. Dangerous-and-Brooding: Stay away from me, lamb.* I’m dangerous.
Theia/Ms. Radiant-Sunshine: But I don’t want to. I think I’m in love with you!
Check.

Does this sound just a teensy bit familiar yet…? Ugh, the first two-thirds of the book was a complete rehash of Twilight, albeit a better-written one. A solid 2 stars -- not horrible, and yet not horribly original. I had to roll my eyes a few times here and there. A couple of facepalms appeared, too.

What bumped the rating up to 2.5 stars was the last third of Falling Under. Told in the perspective of Haden instead of Theia, this portion of the book, titled Up is Down, is infinitely more interesting plot-wise and such a joy to read after the coughTwilightcough review we got before. If only the entire book was like the last part. Alas, it was not to be.

Overall, this book is worth it if you’re willing to wade through some clichés and overdone plot lines first. Falling Under’s invigorating ending certainly left me in need of the sequel.

*Seriously? Haden has to refer to Theia as his lamb, too? Please… -.-

Rating: 2.5
between oh so unremarkable and fairly intriguing
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...