Browse around and leave a comment! I don't bite. (Unless you're a troll. Trolls are tasty...)

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Infinity by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Published May 25th 2010 by St. Martin's Griffin
464 pages
Series: Chronicles of Nick #1
Source: Won from Confessions of a Bookaholic & A Life Bound by Books

Infinity started out just like every other paranormal novel, albeit with a slower pacing than most. Nick Gautier is introduced, his background briefly touched upon, and the paranormal aspect stirred in. I was expecting some sort of yay-let’s-all-go-stake-vampires novel, when WA-BAMMM…

ZOMBIES!!!

Woah.

I went back and re-read the part to make sure I got it right. I mean, vampires, werewolves, dark hunters, gods, immortals, AND zombies?!?! (Yeah, I know it’s in the description. I was too lazy to read it, ok? Shush…) Needless to say, I have not read a book with such a bizarre mishmash of PNR creatures before, and Ms. Kenyon handled the integration well. Everything made sense and tied together at the end.

There was a total [book:Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle|13570] moment in here, too. Nice way of adding confusion and mystery into the characters, I suppose…

I noticed the repetition of words such as gah and bleh, which I admit to using often in IM’s, emails, and Facebook posts. However, they do not work well in books and end up making the writing seem almost sloppy. I assume Ms. Kenyon was trying to portray the teenage voice through these exclamations of annoyance, but it did not work in her favor.

There was also the reoccurrence of the word goober, and it never fails to conjure up this delightful image in my head. I must say, it’s quite distracting when you’re trying to focus on an intense fight scene while Spongebob's I'm a Goofy Goober song occupies your mind.


Overall, a quirky novel that is more MG than YA. I would not have gone out of my way to procure this book if I didn’t have a contest-won copy lying around.

A little something I learned whilst reading Infinity: Three out of four demons all prefer barbecue sauce over hemoglobin. So kids, remember to bring along some BBQ sauce when you’re walking around alone late at night.

Rating: 3
fairly intriguing
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...