Browse around and leave a comment! I don't bite. (Unless you're a troll. Trolls are tasty...)

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Nightspell Tour: Leah Cypess Interview

This is Stop #7 on Ms. Cypess's currently ongoing Nightspell tour, Stop #7. Please check your overhead luggage rack for any personal belongings before exiting the train.*


I was lucky enough to score an interview with Ms. Cypess, and I hope you will enjoy the following lines and lines of text you undoubtedly see under this short paragraph. Remember: comment on this post to be entered for a set of signed Mistwood and Nightspell bookmarks (US only). Also, don't forget to visit all the other stops on this tour (see HERE) and check out the details on entering the random drawing for an annotated edition of Mistwood.

So, without further ado...

What made you decide to write Nightspell as a companion novel to Mistwood instead of a sequel?
LC: Nightspell was originally intended as a completely different novel that happened to be set in the same world as Mistwood. When I finished the first draft of Nightspell, I hadn't sold Mistwood yet and didn't know if I ever would, so it wouldn't have made sense to write a sequel to it yet. It was only after Mistwood sold that I thought to connect the events in Mistwood and Nightspell.

Clarisse is the only cross-over character, yes? Was there a particular reason you chose her to be the character to appear once again in Nightspell?
LC: Mostly because I love her. ;) Clarisse is an incredibly fun character to write, and it also made sense, given the events at the end of Mistwood, for her to show up in another country.

This might be a bit premature, but will we be expecting a third book in the series?
LC: I do have an idea for a third book that, while being about a different character in a different situation, would tie together some of the characters in Mistwood and Nightspell. But it's on the back burner for now while I work on other projects, so I don't know for sure whether it will ever be finished and published.

From shifters to ghosts, you've covered two very different supernatural creatures. Why did you happen to select these from the plethora of mythical creatures out there?
LC: I love all mythical creatures, and my previous (unpublished) manuscripts have featured witches, vampires, elves, and goblins. So it's not so much a "selection" as "which ones happened to get published first." My secret goal (well, I guess it's not so secret anymore) is to write a book about every mythical creature in standard fantasy lore.

Now for one last very random question: do you prefer deading, planking, owling, koalaing, toweling, or none of the above?
(Pictorial explanation HERE)
LC: Ha! Well, that was unexpected. Let's see... I used to take gymnastics, so I know from experience that any of those positions would be really difficult to hold for an extended period of time. If it was a momentary thing, I'd probably like to try planking - I used to like positions that required full extensions.

Aaand, that's all for today, folks. Remember to scroll back up and re-read the underlined "remember" above. Yes, I used the word "remember" twice in that sentence.

*Apologies for the cheesy opening. I couldn't resist inserting the faux-train conductor line in once I typed out the phrase "Stop #7." I'm sure all of you understand exactly what I mean. Stop staring at me like I've lost my mind, goodness.

**I further apologize for the blog hiatus. I will probably be pasting sporadically for the entirety of this school year. If you want to listen to me complain about how much homework and studying I currently have to do to get into a decent college (AKA be a whiny teenager), feel free to tweet/email me.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...