Browse around and leave a comment! I don't bite. (Unless you're a troll. Trolls are tasty...)

Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Cellar by A.J. Whitten

Published May 2nd 2011 by Graphia
276 pages
Source: ARC from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt via NetGalley

The creepy-looking cover of this novel proudly boasts the words: Romeo and Juliet meet the living dead in The Cellar.

Ughhh…
(The above was an exclamation of annoyance, not an attempt to copy the moans of the undead.)

I shall preface this review by saying that yes, I am a huge zombie fan. Zombies are quite possibly the most genius fantastical creatures ever thought up by the human imagination. And despite my grumbling, I really did enjoy Romeo and Juliet. With this uncanny combination of interests, The Cellar must surely be the perfect book for me, right?

Wrong.

Imagine this. You have a dash of zombies are friends with hyenas and a pinch of oh look the lovey-dovey teenagers are off being idiotic again. Stir in the characters’ basically nonexistent personalities, and you’ve got an awkward mix of brown goo that looks and smells suspiciously like a paper copy of Twilight in liquefied form.

Is the plot at least slightly interesting? Well...
First, Boy meets Girl. Both fall in love. But wait, Boy is dangerous, and everyone tells Girl to be careful. Hey, Girl doesn’t care, because love overcomes all obstacles. Yay. And then tons of people die.
Hopefully further elaboration is not needed.

Although The Cellar does not suit my tastes, YA PNR lovers will adore the abundance of true love floating around in this novel. Those particular scenes actually succeeded in making me snort out loud. Twice. I sounded like an irritated bull, and I think I felt rather like one, too.

Rating: 2
oh so unremarkable
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...