Browse around and leave a comment! I don't bite. (Unless you're a troll. Trolls are tasty...)

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George

Published January 8th 2008 by Bloomsbury USA
336 pages
Source: Borrowed

In a gorgeous retelling of the Norse fairytale, East of the Sun, West of the Moon, we follow the little unnamed pika, or “the lass,” as she grows up in a tiny village forever plagued by harsh and never-ending winters. Life is simple, and the only worry the lass has to deal with is the possibility of being stolen by the troll-folk, who are known to be particularly fond of nameless children. But then an isbjorn appears in her life. The ice bear demands for the lass to accompany him to a palace and stay for a year in exchange for fame and wealth for her poor family. So, with her wolf Rollo and her brother’s snow-white parka with the mysterious markings, the lass leaves on the journey that would change her life forever. DUN-DUN-DUUUUN~

I know, so dramatic… I give you permission to roll your eyes.

Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow is written in marvelous prose and is filled with the lilting rhythm that poetry and music both possess. That is why this book and the story within its pages read like a beautiful song.

Speaking of beautiful things, this is a beautiful sculpture of the lass and the isbjorn by Forest Rogers. Isn’t it beautiful? How many times did I use the word beautiful in the past few sentences? Don't answer that.


I must confess: I have never even heard of the fairy tale the novel is based on before reading the book. Originally, I thought it was solely a retelling of Beauty and the Beast and had shamelessly declared to my Kindle, “Haha sucka, I’ve got you all figured out.” (I talk to my books/Kindle. I’m sure you do, too. Don’t deny it…)

Of course, the universe just loves to prove me wrong, and lo and behold, Jessica Day George threw a curve ball and turned the story into Beauty and the Beast and the Troll with Abnormally Long Noses and Breasts. Appealing title, huh? Well, it was still a brilliant story.

Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow was a lyrical read, with wonderful characters and lovely storytelling. My only complaint is the slow beginning, which subtracted from the overall appeal of the novel. It is never a good sign to feel like you have to force yourself through a book, even if it is only a tiny portion.

Maybe I'll go read East of the Sun, West of the Moon one of these days.

Rating: 3
fairly intriguing
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...